At least 17 militants were killed when Pakistan Air Force jets pounded their hideouts in…
Rezaul H Laskar, New Delhi: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has directed authorities to conclude the probe into
the Pathankot attack and resume the stalled Mumbai attacks case after its civilian leadership warned the military that Pakistan’s faces growing international isolation, according to a media report on Thursday.
The civilian government delivered a “blunt, orchestrated and unprecedented warning” to the military leadership and sought consensus on several key actions, including action against banned militant groups, the Dawn newspaper quoted unnamed individuals, who were involved in the meetings between the civil and military leadership, as saying.
Sharif has “directed that fresh attempts be made to conclude the Pathankot investigation and restart the stalled Mumbai attacks-related trials”, the report said.
Inter-Services Intelligence chief Lt Gen Rizwan Akhtar and national security advisor Nasser Janjua will travel to the four provinces with a message for provincial apex committees and ISI sector commanders – “military-led intelligence agencies are not to interfere if law enforcement acts against militant groups that are banned or until now considered off-limits for civilian action”.
Akhtar began with a visit to Lahore, the report said, adding that the decisions were made after an “extraordinary verbal confrontation between Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif and the ISI DG”. The decisions apparently indicated a “high-stakes new approach by the PML-N government”, the report said.
The move comes against the backdrop of a spike in tensions between Pakistan and India, which blamed the terror attacks on Pathankot airbase and an army camp at Uri in Kashmir on militants backed by Islamabad. India last week carried out surgical strikes against terrorists across the Line of Control.