Aleppo aid convoy attack was air raid

Reuters: GENEVA Analysis of satellite imagery of a deadly attack on an aid convoy in Syria last month showed that

it was an air strike, a UN expert said on Wednesday.

Some 20 people were killed in the attack on the UN and Syrian Arab Red Crescent convoy at Urem Al-Kubra near the northern city of Aleppo that also destroyed 18 of 31 trucks, a warehouse and clinic.
The US blamed two Russian warplanes which it said were in the skies above the area at the time of the incident. Moscow denies this and says the convoy caught fire. “We had an image of that and could clearly see the damage there. With our analysis we determined it was an air strike and I think multiple other sources have said that as well,” Lars Bromley, research adviser at UNOSAT (UN Operational Satellite Applications Programme), told a news briefing.
“For air strikes, what you are usually looking out for is the size of the crater that is visible and the type of crater,” he said. A giant crater was caused “almost certainly (by) air dropped munitions” as opposed to artillery or mortars, he said.
The United Nations has referred officially only to an “attack”, which led to a brief suspension of its convoys in Syria. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies initially referred to “air strikes” in a statement.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has said he would set up an internal inquiry to probe the attack and urged all parties to fully cooperate.

Posted by on October 6, 2016. Filed under State. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.