Washington DC(Reuters): A US drone strike in southern Somalia has killed Adnan Garaar, an al…
Washington, Sep 17 – The US has given a donation of $1.32 million to the family of Giovanni Lo Porto, the Italian aid worker killed in January 2015
by a US drone strike. Documents detailing the condolence payment also confirmed the attack took place in Pakistan.
In April 2015, US President Barack Obama admitted that Lo Porto and another aid worker, Warren Weinstein, were killed in a drone strike against a suspected Al Qaeda base in the border region between Afghanistan and Pakistan. Lo Porto and Weinstein had been held hostage by the terrorist group since 2011.
Documents quoted by the Italian daily La Repubblica this week show that the US government signed an agreement with the Lo Porto family on July 8, to pay a total of 1,185,000 euros ($1.32 million) as a donation in the memory of Giovanni Lo Porto.
The admission was made shortly after Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi’s visit to Washington.
The US Embassy in Rome and Lo Porto’s brother, Daniele, confirmed the payment made to Lo Porto’s parents, Vito and Giusy.
We did that knowing that no dollar figure would ever bring back their loved ones and, out of respect for the families, we are not sharing any details of those payments, a spokesman for the embassy told The Guardian.
On the anniversary of Lo Porto’s death, his family complained that both Rome and Washington had forgotten about them. No Italian government officials showed up for Lo Porto’s funeral, his brother Daniele told The Guardian.
Following the payment, Lo Porto’s mother Giusy released a statement indicating that she did not believe justice had been served.
I will not see my son at home with his smile. They took my precious son and they also killed me.