New Delhi, July 10 - India on Sunday approved the import of 5 lakh tonnes…
Sanjana Bhalerao,Mumbai: With no firms willing to take up the scientific closure of the Mulund dumping ground, the Brihanmumbai Municipal
Corporation (BMC) has extended the deadline to get a response to the tenders to mid-September.
According to a contour survey carried out in September 2015, the total volume of the existing solid waste at the dumping ground is approximately 5.35 million cubic metre.
The plan came up after repeated fires at Deonar and Mulund dumping grounds earlier this year highlighted the civic body’s faulty waste management procedure. After a delay of two months, the tenders for the landfill in Mulund were issued in May, but are yet to get any response from the companies.
“We are hopeful we will now get response to our plan. Four companies have downloaded the forms,” said Vijay Balamwar, deputy municipal commissioner, solid waste management department, BMC.
A panel of six members — three civic officials, a financial advisor and one representative each from IIT-B and NEERI — framed the standards for the scientific closure. Based on the committee’s recommendations, changes were made to the conditions for tenders, delaying the process by a month.
After discussions with the companies and tender committee, it was decided that 30 lakh metric tonnes of waste will be processed over three years compared to 60 lakh metric tonnes, as the civic body feared the contractors will not be able to process such a huge amount of waste.
A civic official had then said, “We don’t want the contractors to leave the work mid-way owing to the volume of work. We will make the requisite changes before floating the tenders.”
The processing plant will be built on 4 hectares within one year, while the processing of waste is distributed over the next three years.