London open all hours as night tube service launches

London, Aug 19 (AFP) All-night services finally begin on the London Underground today, after being delayed for months by a dispute with workers and a lack of political will according to the city’s mayor.

The Night Tube is seen as a boost for revellers, tourists and shift workers, who on Friday and Saturday nights will be able to travel on the network at any chosen hour.

The new service will begin on the Victoria and Central lines, crossing through the centre of London and covering neighbourhoods including Notting Hill and Brixton.

There are plans to extend the scheme later this year to the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines, with the latter reaching Heathrow airport.

The night-time service was scheduled to start in September last year but was delayed by a dispute with trade unions over staff conditions and pay.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who was elected in May, said he had seen widespread enthusiasm for the scheme and was surprised it had taken so long.

“It’s not me making a cheap point, but the previous mayor did announce the Night Tube start date on one occasion and that wasn’t met, on a second occasion, that wasn’t met, on a third occasion, that wasn’t met, and then gave up,” said Khan, referring to predecessor and current Foreign Minister Boris Johnson.

“My point is TfL (Transport for London) staff work incredibly hard. It can’t be beyond the wit of a full-time mayor and TfL to make this work properly,” he told the Press Association news agency.

The mayor has recorded welcome messages to be played out at Oxford Circus station in the heart of the capital.

Tube operating firm TfL claims the Night Tube will create jobs and boost the night-time economy of bars, clubs, restaurants, and music events.

Concerns, however, have been expressed about the safety of the new service, after a leaked internal assessment by TfL indicated that sexual offences and other crimes are likely to increase.

The British Transport Police are providing 100 more officers to patrol the 144 stations that will be open all night when the service begins.

All stations will also be staffed by Tube employees, who had staged a series of strikes in their dispute with Johnson over rotas on the new service.

Mick Cash, general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union, said yesterday the association would resist any attempts to deliver the overnight service “on the cheap”.

“Huge logistical challenges in areas like safety, maintenance and engineering will remain under close scrutiny by the union,” Cash said in a statement.

Posted by on August 19, 2016. Filed under State. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.