I do not support terrorism,had been subjected to a media trial: Zakir Naik’s full statement

New Delhi: In a statement to the media, Dr Zakir Naik claimed he had been subjected to a media trial and that the clips shown on the TV were taken out of context. He also claimed that he hadn’t been contacted by any government agency. A Bangladeshi newspaper had claimed that one of the terrorists who participated in the Dhaka attack had promoted a video in which Dr Naik had urged all Muslims to be terrorists.

Here’s his full statement:

According to me, the media is the most important weapon in the world. It can convert a hero into villain or even a villain into a hero. I’m shocked at the media trial on me regarding the recent terrorist attack that took place in Dhaka Bangladesh on 1st July 2016. Most of the clips shown on the television of myself are either out of context, half statements or doctored. So are my statements in the print media.

I would have loved to give interviews whether for television channels or for the print media, but I fear that most of them will not publish it unedited or without twisting it. I came to this conclusion after I had given a few interviews, most of which were unfortunately mutilated and mis-utilised to serve the vested agenda of the channel or the newspaper.

If time permits, God willing, in the next few days I will give replies to some of the major allegations on video and give it to the media as well as put it up on social media as well as other public platforms so that the original answers are also available if the media misutilises it.

So far not a single official Indian government agency has contacted me for any clarification regarding this issue.

It would be my pleasure to cooperate with any official Indian government investigation agency for any information they might require from me.

In conclusion, I repeat what I have always maintained – I DO NOT SUPPORT TERRORISM OR VIOLENCE in any form whatsoever. I have never supported any terrorist organisations and have mentioned this over and over again in thousands of my public talks worldwide. I STRONGLY CONDEMN anyone taking my statements out of context and using it for VIOLENCE OF ANY FORM.”

Yours sincerely,

Dr Zakir Naik

​Zakir Naik delays returning to India

Controversial Islamic preacher Zakir Naik, who was expected back from Saudi Arabia, is unlikely to return to the country for another two to three weeks as he is planning to visit some African countries for public speeches.

Naik also cancelled his press conference planned through skype for tomorrow on the allegations of inspiring militants through his speeches, an aide of the preacher said today.

“Dr Zakir Naik was never supposed to be physically present for the media briefing that was to take place on Tuesday. He had decided that he will address the media through Skype and answer all queries that media persons may have had,” he said.

“His (Naik’s) travel schedule had been made long back.

After performing Umrah, he is scheduled to travel to Jeddah from where he will visit Africa for his public talks scheduled there. He is therefore not expected in the country for another 2-3 weeks at least,” he added.

He, however, said that Naik is not running away from any inquiry and that he is only sticking to his travel schedule worked out in advance.

Apart from coming under scanner in India, Bangladesh has also banned the broadcast of Naik’s Peace TV,cracking down on the channel and radical sermons by the ‘teleevnagelist.’

Shiv Sena has demanded arrest of Naik on his landing in India and dismantling of his TV network.

Meanwhile,Samajwadi Party Maharashtra unit President Abu Azmi came in support of Naik and sought to know why action has not been taken for the last 25 years if his speeches are inspiring terrorists, and called for a fair inquiry into charges against him.

“Zakir Naik has been a preacher for around 25 years now. If he has been inspiring terrorists, why was no action taken against him from so long? There should be an inquiry, conducted by a retired Supreme Court judge to prove that he can never do anything of this sort. But, this media trial against him should stop,” Azmi told reporters.

“While there should be a thorough investigation into Zakir Naik’s speeches, fundings of his Islamic Research Foundation, the Centre should first ban Sanathan Sanstha because their members have been named by the CBI for being involved in the killing of those who opposed their way of Hinduism,” he said.

“We want justice for him (Naik). Let the inquiry be conducted by a non-muslim judge like Justice Srikrishna, Rajindar Sachar or another retired judge of the Supreme Court,” Azmi added.

With agency inputs

Posted by on July 11, 2016. Filed under Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.