Salman hit and run case: SC admits Maharashtra govt’s appeal, but refuses to fast track hearing

Mumbai: The Supreme Court on Tuesday admitted Maharashtra government’s appeal challenging Bombay High Court verdict acquitting Salman Khan in the 2002 hit-and-run case.

However, the court refused to fast-track the final hearing.

The Attorney General (AG) Mukul Rohtagi on behalf of the Maharashtra Government urged the court to put the hearing on fast track but the SC bench headed by Justice JS Khehar refused.

“If you want hearing on fast track, you can approach CJI for the same,” Justice Khehar told AG, reported ANI.

Salman had been acquitted by the Bombay High Court in December 2015 and later in February this year, the Supreme Court sent a notice to Salman, asking why his acquittal should not be overturned.

The Maharashtra Government had on January 22 filed a petition in the apex court against the Bombay High Court’s judgement acquitting Salman of ‘all charges’, overturning the trial court’s order sentencing him for five years.

In April this year, asking the Supreme Court to dismiss the Maharashtra government’s petition challenging his acquittal, Salman Khan said that the Mumbai Police was trying to falsely implicate him in the case.

On September 28, 2002, Khan’s Toyota Land Cruiser had crashed into men sleeping on a pavement outside a bakery in Mumbai’s Bandra, killing one.

Posted by on July 5, 2016. Filed under Bollywood. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.