Malegaon Accused Sadhvi Pragya Denied Bail, Clean Chit Slammed: 10 Facts

MUMBAI, Ankita Sinha:   Right wing saffron Activist Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts, was denied bail today by a special court in Mumbai, which questioned the National Investigation Agency (NIA) for recently dropping charges against her.
Malegaon Accused Sadhvi Pragya Denied Bail, Clean Chit Slammed: 10 Facts
Here are 10 developments in the story:
  1. Berating the NIA, the court said charges against Sadhvi Pragya under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act would stay.
  2. “There are reasonable grounds to believe that accusations against Pragya are prima facie true. It is difficult to accept the (bail plea) merely on the ground that the NIA has given a clean chit to Sadhvi Pragya,” the court said.
  3. The NIA had, in a new chargesheet last month, dropped charges against Sadhvi Pragya and five others citing lack of evidence against them.
  4. The court said today that the NIA, which took over the case in 2011, launched a “fresh investigation” instead of taking forward the Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad’s work on the case.
  5. Seven people were killed and 101 injured when two bombs fitted on a motorcycle exploded in Malegaon, around 270 km from Mumbai, on September 29, 2008.
  6. Sadhvi Pragya, Army Colonel Srikant Purohit and others were arrested and were charged with plotting the blasts as part of a pro-Hindu group, Abhinav Bharat.
  7. The Anti-Terror Squad said Sadhvi Pragya’s motorcycle was used in the attack. It also alleged that Lt Col Purohit and Sadhvi Pragya had met Swami Aseemanand , the main accused in the Samjhauta Express blast of 2007, and plotted the Malegaon blasts. Many witnesses have since turned hostile.
  8. The NIA said in its charge-sheet that “during investigation, sufficient evidences have not been found” against Sadhvi Pragya. It also said the motorcycle registered in her name was used by an accused who is missing.
  9. Both the Sadhvi and Col Purohit, called the face of “saffron terror” by the Congress, have been in jail for about seven years now.
  10. The case was first investigated by Hemant Karkare as the chief of Maharashtra’s Anti-terror Squad. Mr Karkare was killed battling the Lashkar e Taiba terrorists who attacked Mumbai on November 26, 2008.
Posted by on June 28, 2016. Filed under Editorial. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.