Army goes on hot pursuit of insurgents on Indo-Myanmar border

NEW DELHI: The Indian Army is on a hot pursuit of the Manipuri insurgents after the latter killed six Assam Rifles personnel, including a junior commissioned officer (JCO) by carrying out an ambush on May 22 near Hengshi village in Chandel district of Manipur.

Reliable Army sources told dna that a surgical strike, planned and coordinated at the highest level, has been carried out, leading to killing of insurgents and destruction of insurgent camps along the porous Indo-Myanmar border.

The entire operation is yet not over and being monitored by the general officer commanding (GoC) of Dimapur-based 3 Corps.
“Army has gone after the rebels heavily,” a senior official said.
Army has been rattled by the latest deadly attack, similar to the one in June last year in which 18 soldiers of 6 Dogra Regiment were killed in an ambush. Days later, the Indian Army had, in a cross-border operation neutralised 20-25 insurgents.
A senior official termed the ongoing retaliatory action by Army “a massive trace-and-hunt operation to avenge the killing” but stayed short of admitting if it was again a cross-border strike.
Army chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag, accompanied by Kolkata-based Eastern Army Commander Lieutenant General Praveen Bakshi visited the 29 Assam Rifles battalion and the insurgent attack site in South Manipur on May 25. Suhag was briefed “on the incident, including the combing operations in progress and the measures undertaken to neutralise the insurgent group involved in the attack”, by the Inspector General Assam Rifles (South) Major General VS Sreenivas and the commanding officer of the 29 battalion, the soldiers of which were killed on May 22 attack.
Army said that the chief stressed “on the need to further carry out relentless operations against the insurgents active in the region”.

Corcom, a group of six banned organisations – Kangleipak Communist Party, Kanglei Yawol Kunna Lup, People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak, People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (Progressive), Revolutionary People’s Front, United National Liberation Front and United Peoples Party of Kangleipak – has claimed responsibility for the latest ambush.

Posted by on May 30, 2016. Filed under Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.