New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday refuses to hear Maharashtra government's plea against Bombay…
The widow and son of the victim mowed down allegedly by actor Salman Khan in 2002 hit-and-run case, moved the Supreme Court on Wednesday, seeking reversal of the Bombay High Court order acquitting the Bollywood superstar.
Deceased Nuroolla Shaikh’s wife Begum Haroon Khan and their son Firoz Shaikh also sought the apex court to direct the actor to pay compensation to them.
Filing the special leave petition against the Bombay High Court’s December 10, 2015 acquittal order through their counsel Vipin Nair, they said that the high court had failed to examine the evidence and even rejected the statement of key witness Ravindra Patil, who died during the trial, recorded before the magistrate.
“Court erred in dismissing the testimony of the prosecution witnesses on the basis of minor inconsistencies,” the plea said adding that the high court had also ignored the evidence that the actor was drunk during the accident.
Narrating the financial difficulties the family has been facing after the death of Nuroolla, who was the sole bread earner in the family, the plea sought a direction to Salman to pay them compensation.
According to the plea, the widow is doing menial labour job at construction sites while their son is working as a domestic help. The deceased has three daughters also.
“The petitioners are living in utter penury in a slum without even the basic necessities of life. They have suffered immensely ever since the death of their eldest family member in the year 2002….,” said the plea.
“They have no permanent source of employment and are uneducated and illiterate. They are somehow carrying on with their lives with the help of good Samaritans and an NGO by name Priya Janahit Sewa Foundation,” the victims said and sought interim compensation.
The state of Maharashtra has already filed an appeal before Supreme Court, which fixed February 12 to hear the plea. The police have accused Salman as the one behind the wheels after consuming alcohol on the fateful night.
In May last year, a sessions court had ruled that the actor was guilty of running over Nuroolla, sleeping on the pavement outside American bakery in Mumbai on September 28, 2002. At least four were injured in the accident.
The Bombay high court reversed the order saying that the prosecution had failed to establish beyond doubt that the actor was driving and was drunk at the time of the accident.