Supreme Court allows government to hold Maharashtra Night at Girgaum Chowpatty beach

NEW DELHI: The Maharashtra Night will be held at Girgaum Chaupati beach on February 14 as the Supreme Court on Wednesday stayed the Bombay High Court order denying permission to the state government to hold the mega event during the Make in India Week programme scheduled to be held from February 13 to 18.

Accepting the submission of Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi that the six-day programme is “India’s pride” and that no permanent structure would be raised on the beach for the function, a bench headed by Justice M Y Eqbal stayed last week’s high court order.

Rohatgi also countered the apprehension that holding of such an event will obstruct traffic flow in South Mumbai saying, “I am the State. Do you think that the State will obstruct the smooth flow of traffic?”
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, delegates from 56 countries and several other dignitaries are scheduled to take part in the programme, the attorney general said.
Finding merit in Rohatgi’s submission, the bench said, “We issue notice. In the meantime, interim relief in terms of prayer ‘a’ (seeking permission to hold the function) is being granted.”
The apex court had on February 1 agreed to hear the appeal of the Maharashtra government against the Bombay High Court order denying permission to hold the event at the beach.
Maharashtra government in its plea before the apex court said that event was aimed at attracting investment in Maharashtra and that in the past too certain events were allowed to be held at the Girgaum beach.

It said the court has allowed the immersion of Ganesh and Durga idols during Ananta Chaturdashi and Dussehra festivals.
The high court had on January 28 refused to allow the state to hold the event at the beach.

Posted by on February 4, 2016. Filed under Regional. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.