The Enforcement Directorate has moved the Madras High Court challenging the discharge of Tamil Nadu…
Mumbai(PTI): Accused of supplying weapons to actor Sanjay Dutt and the co-accused in the 1993 bomb blast case, Ibrahim Moosa Chauhan, has approached the Bombay High Court after his remission in sentence, granted on account of good conduct, was cancelled. Chauhan was supposed to be released in November last year based on the remission, but is now languishing in the prison.
Chauhan,who was convicted and sentenced to ten years’ imprisonment, in his petition filed through Advocate Farhana Shah, claimed that the decision of the deputy inspector general (Prisons) was “without applying judicious mind and with a malafide intention”. Chauhan also claimed that he is being targetted because of his bomb blast accused tag.
Chauhan was found guilty of supplying weapons to Dutt and co-accused Salim Sheikh. His sentence was later upheld by the Supreme Court.
After he surrendered in 2013 and lodged at Nashik prison, Chauhan was assigned the work of ‘kundi cleaning’ which involves gardening,cleaning toilets, water tank cleaning etc. Over a period of time, he accumulated remission and because of his good conduct and work done,he was granted 80 days’ special remission, based on which he was towalk out free in November, last year. However, when he returned tothe prison after his parole on November 24, he was handed over anorder stating that his special remission has been cancelled.
Shah said the cancelling of remission was based on a statement by a jail inmate who was not from his prison yard, that Chauhan had not done his assigned work properly. She said though Chauhan petitioned that the “illegal order” be set aside and he be released immediately,the plea was not granted.
Chauhan was alleged to have – along with other accused, including gangster Abu Salem – visited Dutt on January 15, 1993 and informed him that they would deliver him the weapons the following day.