NEW DELHI: In an expected announcement, MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup announced on Thursday that the Foreign Secretary level talks between India and Pakistan will not take place on Friday. Swarup said that, “Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar spoke to his Pakistani counterpart. They agreed to reschedule FS-level talks in near future”. He also said that India is waiting for the investigation team from Pakistan to come to Pathankot and assured of extending full support to them.
According to Swarup, NSA’s of both countries are in regular talks with each other, though he refuted reports of them meeting. MEA spokesperson said that India welcomes Wednesday’s statement by Pakistan and termed it as initial positive step. However, he said that rescheduling of talks are not related to Pathankot attack.
Swarup said, ” We will go by what objective evidence we see on ground not empty statements. So far what Pakistan has done we welcome”. He hoped that Pakistan will continue with these efforts.
Pakistan on Wednesday set up a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) comprising security and military officials to probe whether any Pakistani individual or organisation was involved in the Pathankot terror attack in India Pakistan also arrested Jaish-e- Mohammad chief Maulana Masood Azhar, his brother and “several individuals” belonging to his dreaded outfit, which is suspected to have engineered the Pathankot terror attack, and sealed its offices after India demanded action on the group linking it to the fate of Foreign Secretary-level talks.
PM Narendra Modi and Sushma Swaraj had a long meeting on Wednesday night and the final call was deferred till Thursday.