NEW DELHI: Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif has called up PM Narendra Modi on Tuesday following the Pathankot terror attack in the Indian Air Force base.
In a statement, the MEA said “PM Modi strongly emphasized the need for Pakistan to take firm and immediate action against the organisations and individuals responsible for and linked to the Pathankot terrorist attack. Specific and actionable information in this regard has been provided to Pakistan. PM Nawaz Sharif assured PM Modi that his government would take prompt and decisive action against the terrorists.”
A large explosion occurred at the Pathankot air base today afternoon even as Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar arrived there. A controlled explosion of material was heard from the site.
Guns had fallen silent on Tuesday morning at the air base here even as the operation against terrorists entered its fourth day with security personnel engaged in search and combing operations to sanitise the installation. Defence sources said that the firing at the air force base in Punjab ceased this morning after the attack that began in the wee hours on Saturday.
However, search and combing operations are on to ensure that the defence installation is properly secured and sanitised, they added.
Security forces had on Monday killed two more Pakistani terrorists inside the Pathankot air base with the government saying that six attackers had thus been neutralised. However, it was not clear whether all the intruders who attacked the base have been eliminated.
Following a meeting of the National Security Council chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley had said that the bodies of four terrorists have been recovered and those of the remaining two would be found.
The number of intruders had been put at six by officials and the figures given by Jaitley implied that all of them have been eliminated.
Meanwhile, the Shiv Sena has slammed the Modi government, calling on PM Modi to stop trusting the Pakistani establishment.