No decision taken on India-Pakistan cricket series: Government

India on Friday said no decision has been taken on holding of a cricket series with Pakistan, days after BCCI sought government’s clearance on resuming cricketing ties with the neighbouring country.


“No decision has been taken on the India-Pakistan cricket series,” External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said here. He is here accompanying External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj who is attending the 24th Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting. BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur had on Wednesday said the Indian Cricket board has approached the central government for clearance to play Pakistan in Sri Lanka in December.

The BCCI has to get clearance from the Ministry of External Affairs on the matter. The Pakistan Cricket Board has apparently got the government nod and its chief Shaharyar Khan expects Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif to take the decision soon.

With only a month’s window available after India finish their Test Series against South Africa on December 7, the much-awaited series is likely to be confined to three ODIs and two T20 Internationals instead of the original five ODIs, two Tests and as many T20 Internationals. Sri Lanka had emerged as the host for the series between the arch-rivals after India refused to play in UAE.

The proceedings had been fast-tracked once BCCI president and current ICC chairman Shashank Manohar met PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan and senior official Najam Sethi in presence of ECB supremo and chairman of ‘Pakistan Task Force’ Giles Clarke, who is likely to make the series announcement on Friday.

Posted by on November 27, 2015. Filed under State. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.