Two Chinese held over killings have diplomatic immunity

Manila(AFP): The Philippines said on Thursday two Chinese diplomats being held over a gun attack that killed two colleagues had immunity and would be sent back to China.

A police investigator surveys the blood-stained floor at the Lighthouse restaurant, where three Chinese diplomats were shot, in

China’s consul general in the central Philippine city of Cebu was wounded, and two of his staff members shot dead, during the lunch time attack in a private room of a restaurant on Wednesday, according to police. Police detained a husband and wife who were at the lunch, and foreign ministry spokesman Charles Jose said on Thursday they were both accredited Chinese diplomats.

“Custody will be given to the Chinese side and they will undergo legal process in China,” Jose told reporters. Jose said China had already invoked diplomatic immunity as its right under the United Nations’ Vienna Convention.

However, the positions held by the two suspects at the consulate remained unclear. In a statement released before briefing reporters, Jose said those involved in the shooting were “all members” of the China consulate in Cebu. But the statement then said: “The shooting was an extreme act of a relative of a staff of the consulate general”.

Posted by on October 22, 2015. Filed under World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.