Two Indians abducted in strife-torn Libya

Two Indian nationals, one from Odisha and another from Andhra Pradesh, have been abducted in Tripoli, MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup said. “Our mission in Tripoli is making further inquiry for confirmation of the incident. The matter has been taken up at diplomatic level,” he said.

Vikas Swarup

Swarup said that all efforts are being made to ensure well being and secure early release of our nationals. The two Indians have been identified as Pravash Ranjan Samal from Odisha and Ramamurthy Kosanam of Andhra Pradesh.

Earlier four Indians had been detained near the Libyan coastal city of Sirte, an area that is under the control of Islamic State militants, but that it had secured the release of two of them.

The Indian men, who have been in Libya for more than a year and were working at Sirte University, were detained at a checkpoint about 50 km outside Sirte late on Wednesday while on their way back to India, Foreign Ministry spokesman Vikas Swarup said in a statement.

Separately, in Iraq, a group of 39 Indian construction workers have been held captive by Islamic State in Mosul for more than a year, despite attempts by the Indian government to secure their release. Swaraj said she was also worried about many Indian nurses who were returning to Yemen, torn by civil war, a few months after being evacuated. “Situation not normal and we do not hv Embassy there,” she tweeted.

Posted by on September 16, 2015. Filed under World. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.